V Bar V Heritage Site
V Bar V Archaeology Discovery Days
March 22nd – 23rd, 2014
It is going to be another great weekend in Sedona, Arizona and the Verde Valley! Along with great hiking weather, you also have the opportunity to join in the celebration of Arizona Archaeology and Heritage Awareness Month with the V Bar V Archaeology Discovery Days, being hosted by the Red Rock Ranger District of the Coconino National Forest . This special event begins on Saturday, March 22nd, 2014 with the last day of activities on Sunday the 23rd.
This event is perfect for family fun and adventure with special activities for kids including making clay pinch pots and making pictographs! The popular Yavapai-Apache Nation Bird Dancers and Gourd Singers will be present, and in honor of the spring equinox, Ken Zoll will be at the V Bar V Heritage petroglyph site to present his talk about the solar calendar. See below for all the fun things to do at this event. If you are looking for more weekend events please visit our Events in Sedona page. Have a Great Weekend!
Fun thing to do, see, taste and participate in at the V Bar V Archaeology Discovery Days
- Events takes place from 9:30 am – 3:00 pm Saturday and Sunday
- The Yavapai-Apache Nation Bird Dancers and Gourd Singers will be sharing their artistry during this special event
- On Saturday Ken Zoll will be at the V Bar V Heritage site petroglyph site from 12:00 pm -3:00 pm. He will begin his talk about the solar calendar at 1:00 pm in honor of the spring equinox.
- Taste traditional foods including Hopi piki bread and parched corn
- Kids’ activities will include making clay pinch pots, making pictographs and grinding corn on a metate
- Throwing “darts” at the atlatl course
- Enjoy watching pottery making & firing
- Watch flint-knapping demonstrations
- Learn about spinning and weaving cotton
- Watch how to make fire by friction
- Learn about yucca fiber sandals & rope
- Talk to Mountain Men and learn about the history of ranching in the Verde Valley
- Learn about the history of V Bar V Ranch
- View over 1,000 beautiful petroglyphs
- To learn more about the V Bar V Heritage site click here
- If you have questions about any of these activities, please call the Red Rock Ranger District at (928)-203-2900 or visit the Coconino National Forest
- Red Rock Pass or equivalent entrance fee required per vehicle.
Directions from the Best Western PLUS Inn of Sedona to the V Bar V Heritage Site