Moonlight Hike with Telescope Viewing at Red Rock State Park
July 31st, 2015
Take a guided moonlight hike in Sedona, Arizona this Friday, July 31st, at Red Rock State Park! This hike takes place during the second full moon of July, commonly called the “Blue Moon”. Upon returning from the the hike, participants will have the opportunity to observe the moon through a “Viewing Scope’ compliments of the Verde Valley Astronomy Club. Sedona during the day is beautiful, Sedona by moonlight is Awesome!
The modern day definition of a Blue Moon is when there are 2 full moons in one Month. A full moon occurs roughly every 29.5 days and on the rare occasions when the full moon falls at the very beginning of a month there is a good chance a Blue Moon will occur at the end of the month. According to this definition the next blue moon will occur on July 31, 2015 – www.moongiant.com
This 2 1/2 hour naturalist-led interpretive moonlight hike is by far the most popular hike offered by Red Rock State Park. Enjoy the cooler temperatures of evening as you enjoy the sunset and moonrise from an overlook and return by the light of the moon. You will also have the chance to learn a great deal about Sedona and its surrounding areas. Information about Verde Valley and park history, as well as archeology, geology, botany, and the riparian wildlife area is offered.
The start time for the guided hike is 6:30 pm, however the park recommends that you come through the gate approximately 30 minutes before starting time to insure your participation because no late arrivals can be allowed. Reservations are required and can be made by calling 928-282-6907, Pre-registration and a $5.00 reservation fee by phone is required as well as an entry fee upon arrival ($5.00 per adult (14 and up) $3.00 per youth (7-13), and free for children (0-6)). Please wear suitable clothing and shoes and bring water, a flashlight, and insect spray. A $5.00 per person program fee will be charged at the time of the reservations. There is also a $10.00 entrance fee to the Park for a car of four adults. Program fees are non-refundable unless the Park must cancel the hike after your arrival. For more information please visit Red Rock State Park.
• • • • •
2015 “Summer in Sedona” Hotel Special
- Stay between July 6th and August 27th and save $20 to $35 per night. (Savings vary by room type and date of stay. All room types included, based on availability)
- Must make reservations by phone directly with the hotel – 928.282.3072 or 800.292.6344.
- Use Promo code “Summer in Sedona” to receive your special rate!
- Make sure to enjoy all the benefits of staying at our Sedona hotel! We offer our Complimentary “About Town” Shuttle and a free full hot breakfast to get your day started off on the right foot!
- Tesla Charger and EV-60 evCharger now available for our guests! (Complimentary for our Inn of Sedona Guest only, a fee will apply if you are not a guest of the Best Western PLUS Inn of Sedona).
- Learn More about the Best Western PLUS Inn of Sedona